Grimsby Harriers Athletic Club was formed in 1880s and fully constituted in 1906 making at over 100 years old, and one of the oldest clubs in the country. The club has an extensive archive of club information looked after by North East Lincs council dating back to its formation. Achieve information shows that the first meeting of the Grimsby Athletic club took place in 1886, which shows that athletics is one of the oldest sports in the town. The club has been based at King George Athletic Stadium Wealsby Road, since the all weather athletic track was laid in 1985, and over the years has had a number of international athletes in its ranks.
King George V playing field
Following the death of King George’s V over 400 fields were dedicated to his memory as part of a nationwide project. The site where the stadium is now based in Cleethorpes was one of these. The Queen officially opened King George V playing fields on Saturday 28th June 1958 with the Mayor of Grimsby Alderman, Matt Larmour and Mr T. C. White also attending. Prior to the official opening on May 22, 1965 Grimsby Harries help organisation one of the first events to be held at the stadium. A big crowd saw Don Taylor, of Herne Hill and Grimsby Harriers, and holder of the British 10,000 metres record, run a lap of honour to launch the King George V sports ground, after the Mayor of Grimsby, Councillor Miss J. B. B. McLaren, performed the opening ceremony.